- Seoung Hoon KIM, M.D., Ph.D.(adjunct professor)
- Faculty Appointment
- Professor, Department of Cancer Biomedical Science, NCC-GCSP
- Area of Expertise
- Liver Cancer
- Work Experience
- Mar.1997-Feb.2001 Residenship, Dept. of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine
Mar.2001-Jul. 2002 Fellowship, Dept. of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine
Aug.2002-Feb.2003 Fellowship, Center for Liver Cancer, National Cancer Center, Korea
Dec.27, 2002-Jan.25,2003 Visiting research fellow in University of Pittsburg Medical Center, USA
Sep.01, 2008-Aug.31,2009 Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Surgery,
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, USA
Jul. 2007- Feb. 2015Senior scientist, Liver and Pancreatobiliary Cancer Branch,
National Cancer Center, Korea
Mar.2003- Apr. 2015(present) Staff Surgeon, Center for Liver Cancer, National Cancer Center, Korea
Jul. 2007- Apr.2015(present) Chief scientist, Liver and Pancreatobiliary Cancer Branch,
National Cancer Center, Korea
Jun. 2010-Apr. 2015(present) Chief, Organ Transplantation Center, National Cancer Center, Korea
- Educational Background
- 1996 Seoul National University College of Medicine. MD
2003 Seoul National University College of Medicine. M.S.
2006 Seoul National University Graduate School of Medicine. Ph.D.
- Research Interests (Please place in paragraph form)
- Dr. Kim is a staff surgeon of Center for Liver Cancer, the chief of Organ Transplantation Center, and a chief scientist of Liver and Pancreatobiliary Cancer Branch at National Cancer Center, Korea. He received his medical degree at the Seoul National University College of Medicine in 1996 and completed training in surgery at the Seoul National University College of Medicine in South Korea in 2001. He also obtained a PhD from Seoul National University Graduate School of Medicine in 2006.
Dr. Kim is, as an abdominal transplant & hepatobiliary surgeon, focusing on better outcome of both hepatectomy and liver transplantation in living donors and patients with a diseased liver. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. He served as a Scientific Committee member of The Korean Association for the Study of the Liver (2012-2013). He is also currently an international editorial board member for World journal of Gastroenterology (2014-2017). He is one of the world’s experts in liver surgery, especially in living donor hepatectomy and liver transplantation.
He is renowned for having pioneered surgical techniques like various liver resections using hanging maneuver, upper midline laparotomy in major liver resection, minimal anahepatic technique in right lobe living donor liver transplantation (LDLT). YouTube made his surgical performances even easier to appreciate. And he is good at all procedures of LDLT including microsurgery in hepatic artery anastomosis as well as donor & recipient surgery. His personal experience is based on over 10 years in practice with more than 500 cases of LDLT and 800 cases of liver resection.
He received Yonkang academic award (surgery) in 2007.
- International Collaboration