- Yoon-Jung Choi, M.D., Ph.D.
- Faculty Appointment
- Assistant Professor
- Area of Expertise
- Epigenetic epidemiology, infectious disease epidemiology
- Work Experience
2019-2021 Resident, Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine
2016-2017 Fellow, Center for Cancer Prevention and Detection, National Cancer Center
2013-2016 Resident, Department of Family Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital
2012-2013 Intern, Seoul National University Hospital
- Educational Background
2021 Ph.D. Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine
2018 M.Sc. Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine
2009 MD. Seoul National University College of Medicine
2003 B.Sc. Zoology, University of Toronto
- Research Interests
Dr. Yoon-Jung Choi has conducted research in epigenetic epidemiology using mother-child cohorts, in which she evaluated the effects of environmental exposure during pregnancy on children’s epigenetic profiles and clinical outcomes.
She is interested in developmental origin of health and disease (DoHAD) hypothesis which suggests that exposure during early developmental stages (fetus or early childhood) influence health and diseases in later stages of life (adults and elderly).
She is pursuing research to identify critical window period of cancer development in children by using epigenetics approach.
- International Collaboration
Member of International Society for Environmental Epidemiology
*1st or corresponding author
1. Yuk Youjeong, Han Chae-Rin, Jang Yoonyoung, Hong Yun-Chul, Choi Yoon-Jung* Association between weekly fruit and vegetable consumption and depressive symptoms: results from the Korean Elderly Environmental Panel study. Epidemiol Health. 2021;43:e2021029.
2. Oh Jongmin, Han Changwoo, Lee Dong-Wook, Jang Yoonyoung, Choi Yoon-Jung, Bae Hyun Joo, Kim Soontae, Ha Eunhee, Hong Yun-Chul, Lim Youn-Hee Short-Term Exposure to Fine Particulate Matter and Hospitalizations for Acute Lower Respiratory Infection in Korean Children: A Time-Series Study in Seven Metropolitan Cities. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2021;18(1):144.
3. Myung Seung-Kwon, Moskowitz Joel M, Choi Yoon-Jung, Hong Yun-Chul Reply to Comment on Choi, Y.-J., et al. Cellular Phone Use and Risk of Tumors: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 8079. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2021;18(6):3326.
4. Myung Seung-Kwon, Kim Hong-Bae, Lee Yong-Jae, Choi Yoon-Jung, Oh Seung-Won Calcium supplements and risk of cardiovascular disease: A meta-analysis of clinical trials. Nutrients. 2021;13(2):368.
5. Moskowitz Joel M, Myung Seung-Kwon, Choi Yoon-Jung, Hong Yun-Chul Reply to Brzozek et al. Comment on “Choi et al. Cellular Phone Use and Risk of Tumors: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 8079”. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2021;18(11):5581.
6. Lee Kyung-Shin, Kim Kyoung-Nam, Ahn Yebin D, Choi Yoon-Jung, Cho Jinwoo, Jang Yoonyoung, Lim Youn-Hee, Kim Johanna Inhyang, Shin Choong Ho, Lee Young Ah Prenatal and postnatal exposures to four metals mixture and IQ in 6-year-old children: A prospective cohort study in South Korea. Env Int. 2021;157:106798.
7. Lee Kyung-Shin, Kim Johanna Inhyang, Choi Yoon-Jung, Cho Jinwoo, Lim Youn-Hee, Kim Bung-Nyun, Shin Choong Ho, Lee Young Ah, Hong Yun-Chul Association Between Sleep Duration and Intelligence Quotient in 6-Year-Old Children. Int J Behav Med. 2021:1-12.
8. Lee Kyung-Shin, Kim Bung-Nyun, Cho Jinwoo, Jang Yoon-Young, Choi Yoon-Jung, Lee Woo-Seok, Han Changwoo, Bae Hyun Joo, Lim Youn-Hee, Kim Johanna Inhyang Associations between surrounding residential greenness and intelligence quotient in 6-year-old children. Sci Tot Env. 2021;759:143561.
9. Lee Kyung-Shin, Choi Yoon-Jung*, Cho Jin-Woo, Moon Sung-Ji, Lim Youn-Hee, Kim Johanna-Inhyang, Lee Young-Ah, Shin Choong-Ho, Kim Bung-Nyun, Hong Yun-Chul Children’s Greenness Exposure and IQ-Associated DNA Methylation: A Prospective Cohort Study. Int J Env Res Public Healthh. 2021;18(14):7429.
10. Lee Kyung-Shin, Choi Yoon-Jung*, Cho Jinwoo, Lee Hyunji, Lee Heejin, Park Soo Jin, Park Joong Shin, Hong Yun-Chul Environmental and Genetic Risk Factors of Congenital Anomalies: an Umbrella Review of Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. J Korean Med Sci. 2021;36(28).
11. Jang Yoonyoung, Choi Yoon-Jung, Lim Youn-Hee, Lee Kyung-Shin, Kim Bung-Nyun, Shin Choong Ho, Lee Young Ah, Kim Johanna Inhyang, Hong Yun-Chul Associations Between Thyroid Hormone Levels and Urinary Concentrations of Bisphenol A, F, and S in 6-Year-old Children in Korea. J Prev Med Public Health. 2021;54(1):37.
12. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Park Mi-jeong, Park Soo Jin, Hong Dongui, Lee Sohyae, Lee Kyung-Shin, Moon Sungji, Cho Jinwoo, Jang Yoonyoung, Lee Dongwook Types of COVID-19 clusters and their relationship with social distancing in the Seoul metropolitan area, South Korea. Int J Inf Dis 2021;106:363-9.
13. Lee Kyung-Shin, Lim Youn-Hee, Choi Yoon-Jung, Kim Soontae, Bae Hyun Joo, Han Changwoo, Lee Young Ah, Hong Yun-Chul Prenatal exposure to traffic-related air pollution and risk of congenital diseases in South Korea. Env Res. 2020;191:110060.
14. Lee Kyung-Shin, Choi Yoon-Jung, Lim Youn-Hee, Lee Ji Young, Shin Moon-Kyung, Kim Bung-Nyun, Shin Choong Ho, Lee Young Ah, Kim Johanna Inhyang, Hong Yun-Chul Dietary patterns are associated with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms among preschoolers in South Korea: a prospective cohort study. Nut Neurosci. 2020:1-9.
15. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Moskowitz Joel M, Myung Seung-Kwon, Lee Yi-Ryoung, Hong Yun-Chul Cellular phone use and risk of tumors: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Env Res Public Health. 2020;17(21):8079.
16. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Lee Young Ah, Hong Yun-Chul, Cho Jinwoo, Lee Kyung-Shin, Shin Choong Ho, Kim Bung-Nyun, Kim Johanna Inhyang, Park Soo Jin, Bisgaard Hans Effect of prenatal bisphenol A exposure on early childhood body mass index through epigenetic influence on the insulin-like growth factor 2 receptor (IGF2R) gene. Env Int. 2020;143:105929.
17. Kim Myeong Seong, Choi Yoon-Jung, Lee Yoon Hyeon Visceral fat measured by computed tomography and the risk of breast cancer. Transl Cancer Res. 2019;8:1939-49.
18. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Lim Youn-Hee, Lee Kyung-Shin, Hong Yun-Chul Elevation of ambient temperature is associated with an increased risk of herpes zoster: a time-series analysis. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):1-7.
19. Kim Eun Young, Seo Hong Gwan, Kim Yeol, Choi Yoon-Jung, Fong Geoffrey T, Yan Mi, Driezen Pete Change of support for smoke-free area and perception of effectiveness of smoking ban policy among Korean smokers: findings from the 2010, 2016 International Tobacco Control Policy Evaluation Survey in Korea. J Korean Soc Res Nicotine Tob. 2018;9:39-50.
20. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Seo Hong Gwan, Kim Yeol, young Kim Eun, Fong Geoffrey T, Yan Mi, Driezen Pete Tobacco related knowledge is associated with heaviness of smoking index (HSI) and intention to quit among Korean smokers: findings from 2016 ITC Korea Survey. J Korean Soc Res Nicotine Tob. 2018;9:31-8.
21. Choi Yoon-Jung*, Myung Seung-Kwon, Lee Ji-Ho Light alcohol drinking and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Cancer Res Treat. 2018;50(2):474.
22. Nam Gina E, Myung Seung‐Kwon, Choi Yoon‐Jung Use of Omega‐3 Fatty Acid Supplements Has Insufficient Clinical Evidence for Treatment of Hypertriglyceridemia: A Meta‐Analysis of Randomized, Double‐Blind, Placebo‐Controlled Trials. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol. 2017;119(12):1700111.
23. Kim Youngju, Choi Yoon-Jung, Oh Seung-Won, Joh Hee-Kyung, Kwon Hyuktae, Um Yoo-Jin, Ahn Sang Hyun, Kim Hyun Joo, Lee Cheol Min Discrepancy between self-reported and urine-cotinine verified smoking status among Korean male adults: analysis of health check-up data from a single private hospital. Korean J Fam Med. 2016;37(3):171.
24. Shin Dong Heon, Choi Yoon Jung, Jin Ho Seong, Kim Nak Hyun, Kim Soo Yeon, Yun Jae Moon The improvement in reproducibility of the tests with child-friendly design in medical testing device: A pilot study. Korean J Fam Pract 2015;5(3):443-8.
25. Kim Hee-Tae, Lee Kiheon, Jung Se Young, Oh Seung-Min, Jeong Su-Min, Choi Yoon-Jung Barrier factors to the completion of diabetes education in Korean diabetic adult patients: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 2007-2012. Korean J Fam Med. 2015;36(5):203.
26. Choi Y‐J*, Nam Y‐S, Yun Jae Moon, Park JH, Cho BL, Son H‐Y, Kim JI, Yun JW Association between salivary amylase (AMY 1) gene copy numbers and insulin resistance in asymptomatic Korean men. Diabet Med. 2015;32(12):1588-95.