- Choi, Beom-Kyu, PhD
- Faculty Appointment
Department of Cancer Biomedical Science, NCC-GCSP
- Area of Expertise
- Contact no
- Work Experience
2008 – 2011, Associate Scientist. Immune & Cell Therapy Branch, NCC
2011 – 2019, Senior Scientist. Cancer Immunology Branch, NCC
2012 – 2017, Chief, Biomedicine Production Branch (cGMP facility for T cell therapeutics), NCC
2018 – present, QA manager, Biomedicine Production Branch, NCC
2020 – present, Principle scientist, Cancer Immunology Branch, NCC
- Educational Background
B.S., Department of Microbiology, Hannam University
M.S., Department of Microbiology, Hannam University
Ph.D., Department of Immunology and Biomedicine, University of Ulsan
- Research Interests
Immunology & Cancer Immunotherapy
1. Choi BK, Kim YH, Lee DG, Oh HS, Kim KH, Park SH, Lee J, Vinay DS, Kwon BS. In vivo 4-1BB deficiency in myeloid cells enhances peripheral T cell proliferation by increasing IL-15. J Immunol. 2015 Feb 15;194(4):1580-90.
2. Phase I Clinical Trial of 4-1BB-based Adoptive T-Cell Therapy for Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)-positive Tumors. Eom HS, Choi BK, Lee Y, Lee H, Yun T, Kim YH, Lee JJ, Kwon BS. J Immunother. 2016 Apr;39(3):140-8.
3. Extracellular stimulation of VSIG4/complement receptor Ig suppresses intracellular bacterial infection by inducing autophagy. Kim KH, Choi BK, Kim YH, Han C, Oh HS, Lee DG, Kwon BS. Autophagy. 2016 Sep;12(9):1647-59.
4. The repopulating cancer cells in melanoma are characterized by increased mitochondrial membrane potential. Lee DG, Choi BK, Kim YH, Oh HS, Park SH, Bae YS, Kwon BS. Cancer Lett. 2016 Nov 28;382(2):186-194.
5. 4-1BB signaling activates glucose and fatty acid metabolism to enhance CD8+ T cell proliferation. Choi BK, Lee DY, Lee DG, Kim YH, Kim SH, Oh HS, Han C, Kwon BS. Cell Mol Immunol. 2017 Sep;14(9):748-757.
6. Desensitized chimeric antigen receptor T cells selectively recognize target cells with enhanced antigen expression. Han C, Sim SJ, Kim SH, Singh R, Hwang S, Kim YI, Park SH, Kim KH, Lee DG, Oh HS, Lee S, Kim YH, Choi BK, Kwon BS. Nat Commun. 2018 Feb 1;9(1):468.
7. RELT negatively regulates the early phase of the T-cell response in mice. Choi BK, Kim SH, Kim YH, Lee DG, Oh HS, Han C, Kim YI, Jeon Y, Lee H, Kwon BS. Eur J Immunol. 2018 Oct;48(10):1739-1749.
8. The hyaluronic acid-rich node and duct system is a structure organized for innate immunity and mediates the local inflammation. Choi BK, Hwang SH, Kim YI, Singh R, Kwon BS. Cytokine. 2018 Jun 12. pii: S1043-4666(18)30259-X.
9. Delayed IL-21 treatment preferentially expands peptide-specific CD8+ T cells by reducing bystander activation of T cells. Kim SH, Park SY, Lim MC, Lee ES, Lee EG, Han SE, Kim YH, Kwon BS, Choi BK. Immunotherapy. 2019 Apr;11(6):497-513.
10. Siglec1-expressing subcapsular sinus macrophages provide soil for melanoma lymph node metastasis. Singh R, Choi BK. Elife. 2019 Dec 24;8:e48916.
11. Choi BK, Lee HW. The Murine CD137/CD137 Ligand Signalosome: A Signal Platform Generating Signal Complexity. Front Immunol. 2020 Dec 10;11:553715.
12. Kim SH, Singh R, Han C, Cho E, Kim YI, Lee DG, Kim YH, Kim SS, Shin DH, You HJ, Lee HW, Kwon BS, Choi BK. Chronic activation of 4-1BB signaling induces granuloma development in tumor-draining lymph nodes that is detrimental to subsequent CD8+ T cell responses. Cell Mol Immunol. 2021 Aug;18(8):1956-1968.
13. Singh R, Choi BK. A Transient Transfection-based Cell Adhesion Assay with 293T Cells. Bio Protoc. 2021 Jan 5;11(1):e3878.
14. Yu EM, Cho E, Singh R, Kim SH, Han C, Han S, Lee DG, Kim YH, Kwon BS, Choi BK. IL7-Fc Enhances the Efficacy of Adoptive T Cell Therapy under Lymphopenic Conditions in a Murine Melanoma Model. Cells. 2021 Aug 7;10(8):2018.
15. Kim SH, Cho E, Kim YI, Han C, Choi BK, Kwon BS. Adoptive immunotherapy with transient anti-CD4 treatment enhances anti-tumor response by increasing IL-18Rαhi CD8+ T cells. Nat Commun. 2021 Sep 7;12(1):5314.